Monday, September 17, 2007

PURPLE SOUP and other foood stories...

I never intended to make purple soup. It was an accident. I intended to make Corn Chowder - a typically "white" soup. I wanted to use up some of the vegetables that have been sitting around my fridge from the UBC - CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box that we get weekly. Corn, nugget potatoes, patty pans, and carrots. The carrots are to blame - they were purple carrots. Corn, potatoes and zucchinis are pretty "white", so why didn't I think about what would happen if I added carrots? I dye things. I should know this. Here is the soup:


It may look funny, but it tasted soooo good. Half a bottle of whipping cream will do that.

Another funny food story. My dear Miss B has never experienced conventional (i.e. non-organic) breakfast cereals. We don't eat much cereal in this house, but when we do it is of the granola type. But, being pregnant I craved rice crispy squares. So off we went to the conventional grocery store to buy Rice Crispies and marshmallows. We made the gooey delicious treats and ate them all (over a few days, mind you). There happened to be about a 1/4 of the box left (I like my squares really marshmallowy) so I decided to have them for breakfast yesterday. I surprised Miss B with the magical sounds of the "Snap Crackle Pop". She was amazed so I offered her a taste by putting a large spoon full in front of her mouth. She proceeded to BLOW all of the contents of the spoon on to the table and floor. I screamed - in shock and fury. What are you doing????? She looked at me with a confused face and said "But they are hot!". Oh. My. Goodness. Miss B took the sounds of the milk on the cereal as being a boiling sound - she really thought the cereal was piping hot! At that point we all cracked up. Only an organic family can have a situation like this...

1 comment:

Anna said...

that soup looks yummy!
what a cute story, snap, crackle, pop! i bought a panda licorice bar the other day and shared it with bodhi. later he told randy that mummy had given him chocolate (he is not allowed chocolate). he was quite proud about the whole thing.

anna